Become a Flop or Flourish Follower

Check out my other pages!

3

Flop or Flourish Day 7- refashioned shirt/jeans into apron

Posted by Amy DeWitt on 7:26 PM
I am having an incredible time working on my motivotions! (Motivation+Devotions)

Today I've been reading in Psalms.
Psalm 31:3-5
You're my cave to hide in, my cliff to climb. Be my safe leader, be my true mountain guide. Free me from hidden traps; I want to hide in you. I've put my life in your hands. You won't drop me, you'll never let me down.
I've been stressing out lately about many things, and this is where I turn when I need comfort, reassurance that God is still there, and that He cares what I'm facing.

Please know that He cares for you as well. No matter what dilemma you are dealing with, know that His strength will get you through. The joy of this knowledge is priceless!

Today's Flop and Flourish:
As I mentioned before, I have never done much sewing, and I'm still learning. I've been watching some tutorials to help me out, and I'm starting to learn a few things. If only I had the patience for sewing correctly...
I don't like the idea of sewing with a pattern and fabric that I have to purchase. One, because it's more expensive than buying new clothes anymore, and two, I like the idea of taking something old and making it new.
I saw an idea for an apron from jeans. I wasn't crazy about that particular apron, so I made my own version.
I started with a pair of Aaron's discarded jeans. I liked the back because it would give me two pockets. I cut them off right above the crotch and cut the front of the jeans completely off, leaving me with a square-ish panel.

Again, an Aaron discard. (He lost some weight over this last year, so these are clothes that no longer fit right.)

I used bar soap and a straight edge to mark my lines. I cut the sleeves at an angle from the corner of the collar, to below the underarm of the sleeve.

I cut the back off entirely, starting behind the side seem edge. But I left the collar. I tucked in the edges and sewed so there would be no fraying.

I placed the halter top looking half shirt onto the dress dummy and pinned on the piece of jeans I had cut. Before I sewed the jeans to the shirt, I changed the needle in my machine to a heavy duty needle made for denim. I also purchased thread made for denim. I used a zig-zag stitch and stitched the top of the jeans to the shirt.

I added an old scarf for the belt. (The skirt looks a little crooked, but that's because the dress dummy is off on one side by a few inches.)

The final result is a super-cute apron that looks like it's part of an outfit, but there's no back except the scarf-belt tie.
Thanks for reading! Make sure you join the blog, or sign up for email updates!
Tomorrow, we will be making over kid's T-shirts into summer tank tops!
Ciao!


3 Comments


So cool. I love the idea of using somthing old and making something new. Love the apron. Great job.

Aerial Allen


Too cute!!! Love the idea :-)


Thanks! It turned out way better than I thought it would. Only I can see that the stitching isn't that great.... but you live and learn, and I'm definitely learning a lot more!

Post a Comment

leave a comment

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Copyright © 2009 Flop or Flourish All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.