Become a Flop or Flourish Follower

Check out my other pages!

0

Flop or Flourish Motivotions- Day 2

Today I dropped off my oldest daughter at camp. This is her third year going to camp, but this year it was harder for me to leave. This seems like a very significant year. She is now officially a pre-teener, and has moved up from kid's camp to pre-teen camp. Why is this significant? Partially because it made me realize just how old I am. But, mostly because I still remember my years at pre-teen camp.
When I was eleven years old, I was a camper at the same church camp where I left Ally today. During that week of camp, I don't remember who the camp speaker was. I don't remember what team I was on for activities, and I don't remember who my friends were. I do remember vividly what happened in one of the altar times. When I was eleven years old, I felt God call me into a full-time ministry. I knew that one day, I would serve my church in some kind of capacity. Of course, being eleven, I thought that I would start out singing in small churches, and eventually become the next Sandy Patty. (A famous contemporary Christian artist of the time.)
I never became famous. But I did make it into full-time ministry. It didn't quite start out the way I imagined, though. I was certain that full-time ministry involved sitting on the platform during services, speaking to large crowds of people who are hanging on every word you preach, and spending time praying for lovely, grateful people.
When I was about seventeen, I told my pastor that I felt called to ministry. I was sure he would ask me to speak in church, or put me in charge of some kind of ministry. He did. He told me that he was glad God called me, and he really needed someone to pick up the used Kleenex, in between church services, from the altar areas. I didn't complain, I just started doing this each week for several months. That was my first ministry experience, and I have to say, it was the best lesson to learn. You can't do ministry unless you can serve and do the menial, thankless jobs.
Now, I know that ministry is not glamorous. It's about serving others, whether they appreciate the things you do or not. It's about serving behind the scenes, at times.
Today was a good reminder of how I began ministry. I hope I never forget that ministry can be as simple as a booger-tissue, cleaner-upper.
My favorite Bible verses are in 1 Corinthians. Chapter 15:57-58 "Therefore my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmovable. Always abounding in the work of the Lord, for you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."
Anything you do for the Lord is important, no matter how small! Flourish in the small stuff!

Today's Flop or Flourish came from a few weeks ago...

Flop:
I saw a great (or so I thought) idea on Pinterest. Ice cube painting. I teach kid's church, and it has been an insanely hot summer. I loved the idea, but I didn't have the watercolors the pin suggested using. I'm not big on following directions, so I thought, hey, why not just use food coloring. Some of you are already groaning because you know what's coming next. We took the ice cubes and fabric to the picnic tables and began to paint. Very quickly, fingers were stained, and kids were wiping their hands on their clothes...Sorry to all the moms. After about a minute, they all wanted to stop because their tiny fingers were frozen. Ah, well, you don't always flourish, but you gotta keep trying!
Ciao!


0 Comments

Post a Comment

leave a comment

Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Copyright © 2009 Flop or Flourish All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.